Hot stone Massage
Using hot basalt stones to massage – the conjunction of heat and massage has a powerful sedative and calming effect on the body. The heat of the stones is carried down into the deeper layers of the body resulting in a release of tension in the muscles and connective tissue.
For the ultimate in luxury, treat yourself to an hour and a half full body hot stone massage and feel your aches and pains literally melt away.
Deep pressure can be applied and the stones can be easily adapted to sports massage techniques such as trigger point work and hydrotherapy.
Benefits of heat application:
- Decreases pain by producing anesthesia effect
- Increases blood supply to damaged area
- Makes muscles and fascia more pliable
- Lessens muscle contraction
- Encourages relaxation
- Increases ease of movement
- Benefits of cold application:
- Prevents and reduces swelling
- Decreases inflammation
- Decreases pain
- Decreases sensory input
- Decreases spasm
- Contrast bathing alternates the application of cold and heat. This has the following effect:
- Pumps blood through the area (flushing the area with fresh blood thus bringing nutrition to the area)
- Reduces swelling (by pumping lymphatic vessels)
- Excellent for chronic joint inflammation